Assets Rehabilitation process involves a suite of EDAMS models that include:
- Condition Assessment modules
- Asset Valuation module
- Rehabilitation Planning module
- Projects Register module
Risk Assessment is carried out with output in the form of two plans, a:
(1) Rehabilitation Plan (replacement, refurbishing) and a
(2) Preventive Maintenance plan.
Standards & Procedures
The system is based on the Organisation’s policies, standards & procedures for Condition Assessment, Asset Valuation and Maintenance Planning. All the settings are embedded in the EDAMS-AMP module.
Asset Condition Assessment Module
Condition assessment of bulk assets is carried out largely by visual inspection against a set of performance parameters.
Condition assessment is also used for purposes other than determining the remaining and useful lives of assets.
It provides the basis for the maintenance management of assets and the setting of intervention levels.
Condition Assessment Module
Condition Assessment method is based on the asset type, i.e.
- Inspected individually and evaluated on a regular basis, such as treatment plants and pump-station components.
- Usually inspected individually and evaluated only if their age exceeds a certain number of years. Such assets include: Hydrants, Isolating Valves and Manholes
- Consumption Meters: The performance of consumption meters can be evaluated through evaluation of the Billing data (CDE).
- Electricity lines, Water and Sewer Pipes are usually evaluated on a range of parameters, such as material, age, soil conditions and other.
Asset Valuation Module
EDAMS Asset Valuation module assists the manager to optimize the asset’s life cycle costs whilst at the same time ensuring that the required service levels are maintained.
The module assists to:
- Determine the current price & maintenance (total cost) of Ownership
- Evaluate the remaining life span of assets
- Evaluate the actual cost performance of the assets
Financial Asset Valuation is done using various depreciation methods and output includes Remaining Useful Life, Replacement Cost and Current Values
The EDAMS-Asset Valuation Module has considerable flexibility in terms of Financial Valuation and reporting, e.g.: (Depreciation methods, Data Set, Date of AV, GIS visualization, Grouping of assets, Selection/ Exclusion by Condition, Selection/ Exclusion by % Remaining Useful Life, Numerical Output, Graphical Output, History of Valuations, summary reports)
Rehabilitation Planning Module
EDAMS Rehabilitation Manager is a decision support tool for assisting in establishing infrastructure investment plans.
- Risk Assessment
- Asset Categorisation
- Assessment of Useful Lifes
- Rating & Ranking Assets
Maintenance & Rehabilitation Planning Settings
Settings: The rehabilitation cycle requires the setting / review of a number of settings per asset type. These include:
- Importance Categories
- Operational Conditions
- Deterioration / Condition Decay curves
- Risk levels and
- Rehabilitation decision matrices.
Maintenance & Rehabilitation Planning
The EDAMS system assists the user in analysing and understanding the results (Prioritization Lists) arising from Risk Assessment before proceeding with finalising the Rehabilitation Plan; the rehabilitation plan being a list of activities over different time frames for asset replacement or repair within budgetary constraints.
The rehabilitation plan is grouped in action plans in terms of risk over different time frames for asset replacement or repair. The activities are grouped per user-definable projects per user-definable budget phases.
Projects Register Module
An integrated asset management approach requires the smooth linking of the existing infrastructure to the rehabilitation and upgrading projects.
For project management purposes Organisations utilise frequently tools like Microsoft Project or other CPM / Gantt chart type software. Lately software termed Project Information Management Systems (PIMS) enable sharing of information and track projects through all their phases.